Our Mission is to enhance Yellow River State Forest for public use while protecting the integrity of the flora, fauna, soil and water.
The Goals of Friends of Yellow River State Forest:
* Be a voice for Yellow River State Forest
* Create public awareness of the recreational opportunities at YRSF
* Work in tandem with YRSF staff to accomplish common goals
* Organize volunteer opportunities
* Raise money for improvements at YRSF in agreement with our mission statement
What is a Friends Group?
Friend groups are made up of dedicated volunteers who raise funds, make park improvements and otherwise give support. Across Iowa, these coalitions of concerned citizens work to improve, protect and preserve treasured natural resources.
Yellow River State Forest is 8,990 acres of beauty, peace and uniqueness. There are 101 regular campsites, 34 equestrian campsites and five backpack areas with 20 secluded sites. There are 51 miles of trails, which includes trails for hiking, biking, cross-country skiing, horseback riding and snowmobiling. YRSF has more than eight miles of trout stream access, public hunting, one-of-a-kind ecosystems and is a Globally Significant Bird Conservation Area. This is a place for everyone in all seasons.
Want to see what all the fuss is about? Watch this beautiful video by Keith Shaffer to see a taste of how amazing YRSF is!